The purpose of UNBOUND is to unify the anti-slavery movement by providing a platform for organizations to raise awareness and funds, engage with community members, collaborate, and explore new innovations.
Date: Saturday, October 5, 2013 @ 10am
Location: President Lincoln’s Cottage – Eagle Gate Entrance, 140 Rock Creek Church Road, N.W., Washington DC. (Intersection of Rock Creek Church Road & Upshur Street NW). Please see below for directions.
- Metro: The Georgia Avenue/Petworth Metro Station (Green/Yellow Lines) is 0.8 miles downhill from Eagle Gate. The station is located at the intersection of Georgia Avenue, New Hampshire Avenue, and Rock Creek Church Road, NW. From the Metro exit, walk to Rock Creek Church Road, and then head northeast along Rock Creek Church Road for approximately 0.8 miles. Turn right into the gates at the intersection of Upshur Street and Rock Creek Church Road. Alternatively, catch the H8 bus (see below) from a stop at the intersection of New Hampshire and Georgia Avenue, just south of the Metro exit.
- Parking: It is highly recommend that you commute via metro or bus, as parking can be tricky. If you have to drive, there is limited street parking in the area.
- Additional directions can be found here: Directions.
Event includes: A walk, resource fair with dozens of anti-trafficking organizations, live music, and luminary speakers
Detailed Itinerary: 9 AM Registration Opens
9:30 AM Exhibitor/Resource Fair & Children’s Area Opens
10:30 AM Official Program Begins
- Becky McDonald, Founder and President of Women at Risk, International
- UNBOUND song by Sahmuel
- Withelma “T” Ortiz Walker Pettigrew, Survivor Leader and Advocate
- SoulCry! Dance Performance Inspired by the Story of a Survivor
- Award Presentation, Detective Bill Woolf
- Martina Vandenberg, Keynote Speaker
- Walker Prizes
12:30 AM Walk Begins
Registration: You MUST pre-register for the event. Onsite registration will NOT be available.
General Admission: $25.00
Includes event t-shirt.
Student Registration: $15.00
Includes event t-shirt. *Student ID Required*
Abolitionist Registration: $50.00
Includes event T-shirt + survivor-made item
Abolitionist+ Registration: $100.00
Includes event T-shirt + survivor-made item + special mention
Child Registration: Free
Register before 9/15 and you’ll be automatically entered in a raffle to win an iPhone 5S!
History: This is our 5th annual event and was formerly called the Stop Modern Slavery Walk. Last year, we raised over $98,000 and brought in over 2000 attendees! Since we began this tradition in 2009, we have raised over $325,000 for the cause and registered over 6,500 attendees.
UNBOUND is organized entirely by the community volunteers of DC Stop Modern Slavery. We do this in order to set an example of what’s possible when passionate people get organized.
The event will include:
- A walk around the Washington Monument
- A resource fair with dozens of anti-trafficking organizations
- Live music,
- Luminary speakers
The event is also a fundraiser for local anti-human trafficking organizations. This year’s beneficiary organizations include:
Donated funds will help these organizations to:
- Rescue victims of slavery
- Shelter, rehabilitate, and educate survivors of slavery
- Create, strengthen, and implement anti-trafficking laws
- Train law enforcement officers, attorneys, and judges to identify victims
- Operate the National Human Trafficking Hotline
- Provide human trafficking awareness and prevention training in schools, private industry, the military, and all levels of government
We look forward to seeing you out on the National Mall on October 5!
If you’d like to inquire about becoming an UNBOUND speaker, performer, or other event presence, please contact us.